Ok, I know... we haven't blogged lately but between a hail storm that's gotten us a new roof and one of my bridesmaids getting engaged, life's been... well, life-it happens. The later event has given me a great idea for our blog… a spotlight of sorts on the individuals helping to make our wedding day so special. Our day would definitely not be the same without them and for that and their friendship, we are eternally grateful!
So here it goes…
Emelie Holm: I met Emelie a couple of years ago, I can’t recall when (you will find this is a running theme in my life). She is not only a best friend but also a sorority sister. She wasn’t in college while I was there but once we started hanging out, our friendship grew instantaneously. If you know either of us, we’re quite the unlikely duo. Emelie is calm and reserved and up until recently, a bit more sensitive than I (cough, cough) ok… a lot more. While I am a straight talker that is working on not always being so brutally honest as it can hurt people’s feelings, even when I don't mean to.
It’s funny how life happens…
So how did the redhead from Stockholm, Sweden and the little girl from Chester become friends? Emelie and I began to hang out more when I tried to set her up with someone. Needless to say, the relationship didn’t last but the friendship blossomed. After finishing undergrad at Winthrop, Emelie moved in with me for what has been one of the best summers I’ve had so far. During this time, I recruited her as part of Sigma’s advisory board, but in the fall, she left Rock Hill to attend USC where she received her Masters in International Business. When she graduated, she moved to Pittsburgh with her parents. Lucky for her, I needed her back in my life so I devised a plan… ok not really, but life has a funny way of working out.
The plan…
Last summer, a week after Geoff and I began dating, I was in Folly Beach with my parents when I had dinner with my friend Greg at Taco Boy. Greg and I talked about my new love interest, Geoff, and I inserted Emelie into our conversation. What neither Emelie nor Greg knew, was that the previous summer I wanted to set them up but was told it wouldn’t work… I figured, why not try again-so I did. Somehow by the end of the night, they were chatting back and forth on their phones, which is a defining trademark of the couple. Shortly there after Emelie moved to Charleston, and she was back in SC. So yea, it worked out… Emelie and Greg started dating a week after us and he popped the question this past Friday in Charleston! So my plan worked... well partially. Turns out, Gremelie, as they’re referred to will be getting hitched before us, December 10 actually, and then she will be moving to New York where Greg just recently accepted a job. Regardless of the distance, I know that our friendship that will last a lifetime.
So there you have it…
While there is so much left that I could say, I think this quote says it best. "Sometimes people come into your life and you know right away that they are meant to be there; they serve some sort of purpose, teach you a lesson, or help you figure out who you are." Emelie, has done all three.



Life is often funny like that, giving us the people we need when we most need them. Glad you have such a great friend!
ReplyDeleteI reread this post and now I am in tears. Miss you!
ReplyDelete