Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lowcountry Livin




This weekend we were desperate for an escape... after a rainy 29th birthday, Friday couldn't come around quickly enough.

After school I rushed home and when Geoff arrived about thirty minutes later, he found me in a frenzy rushing around, packing Davis and Maximus, and making sure everything was ready. Lucky for us, Geoff's parents live in Beaufort, SC and a trip to the lowcountry was just what we needed. He, to my satisfaction, was quick to gather what he needed and we were off. When we arrived, we were greeted with Geoff's father, one of the warmest and sweetest men I know. The pups were ecstatic as they prepared for a laid back weekend full of squirrel watching and walks with grandpa through the neighborhood.

As Saturday began, we were greeted with breakfast from Brenda, even though she's not originally from the South, I would put her up against most southern-raised chefs as her cooking exudes that feeling of comfort. Before we ate, Geoff and I shared the ring with her as it was her first glimpse of the ring, I think she is as elated as we are!

We decided to venture to the Waterfront Park after running some errands and found ourselves drifting to sleep on one of the walls to the sound of bluegrass bands and the sweet kiss of the sun on our faces. No wonder the locals love this place so much, it can melt all the stress of life away.

Afterwards, we had one mission before returning home, Lowcountry Winery. For those of you that frequent the area, if you haven't stopped in to see the owner April, you need to. Raised in the Up Country, April moved to Beaufort after she was married. April is the type of person you feel like you've known you entire life-easy to talk to and always happy to see you. While Geoffrey has long been a Lowcountry wine connoisseur, it's quickly become a regular stop when we're in Beaufort. Following with our ribbon on continuity (I didn't coin the term but I'm in love with it), we discussed with April how we will tie one of our favorite Beaufort novelties into our big day. I obviously can't give away how we will do this, but I think it will be worth the wait! Simply put, April is amazing-next time your in the lowcountry, stop by.

When we returned home, the sunlight was still bidding for our attention, this provided Geoff the ideal opportunity to string up his Eno hammock. How much more perfect could a southern day be, relaxing in a hammock that's attached to a magnolia tree- LoVe it! After sitting in the backyard with our pups and his parents, we finished our evening at Boondocks where Geoff asked his dad to be the Best Man in our wedding. The night couldn't have ended better.

Before we headed home, we were able to have lunch with one of my bridesmaids who happens to be dating one of my very close friends (yes I take the credit for that one). Needless to say, it was hard to say goodbye this afternoon to that carefree feeling of lowcountry livin.

No comments:

Post a Comment