“Looks like two pigs fighting under a blanket.” Steel Magnolias… a southern classic.
Not only is that infamous line known throughout the south, so are many other traditions from the movie such as beauty shop gossip; daddies that would do anything for their daughter (even if that includes shooting birds in preparation for her wedding); and that not so understood notion of a groom’s cake help to weave the quilt of southern culture.
As I began searching for bakeries in our area to create Geoffrey’s cake, The WOW Factor Cakes struck my fancy. Lucky for me, like Karen at Lily Greenthumbs, Amy is the only cake designer that emailed me back… apparently vendors in the area don’t need/want our money. While guests at our rehearsal dinner will not be hacking into a dead armadillo cake, I can confidently attest that I’ve created the perfect vision of a groom’s cake for Geoff!
Unlike the groom’s cakes of old, the cake will not be fruitcake and will not contain liqueur. Nor, will it be given to the unmarried women attending our wedding because it’s supernatural power, also a past tradition. (According to an article I found, it was thought that if unmarried women slept with a slice of groom’s cake under their pillow, she would dream of her future husband.)
Geoff and I are scheduling a tasting soon; I can’t wait to try all of The WOW Factor Cake options…
So… here’s the question… if you know Geoff (personally or through our blog) and even if you don’t, what do you think I would/should/am going to include as part of his groom’s cake?

I think the idea that you have is a good idea. If only you can add some green leaves to go with the ribbon of continuity.
ReplyDelete